Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Stories from Water Truck Day

Today was an amazing day. Healing Haiti delivers water at no cost, to the poorest part of Port au Prince, the area called Cite Soleil, six days a week. We got to join them today, and our hearts were touched beyond belief.

Many of us were overwhelmed by the poverty and the living conditions, but even more blown away by the love and joy of the people we met. Children clamored for our attention and affection at each stop we made; women and men and children of all ages hurried to collect water from the gushing hose off the truck and carried the heavy loads back to their homes.

At one stop, we took some extra time to walk through the village and to the coastline. Kids trailed along with us, asking to be held as we crunched over the broken shells and garbage. Free range pigs and goats enjoyed bathing in the water as we stood and looked over the coast of this beautiful country. The depth of texture, the sparkly eyes of children, the cheerful greetings of "bonswa" as we walked...it was so much to take in.

Each of us had deeply personal experiences today, and God was working in our hearts. A few of us would like to share our stories from today.

Karen - Today I was impressed by LOVE. So many children at each stop! They all wanted love and wanted to be held, AND held tight to me. I've worked with kids in school in America all my life, but this culture was so different. It broke my heart to see kids living in the conditions in Cite Soleil. I was also very impressed with the children who were so strong and carried heavy water buckets on their heads back to their homes. I think it is God's gift to them, that they can work so hard cheerfully. What I saw in the children's eyes here, I wanted to take them home. Often I thought, "what would God do here"? The answer: share love.

Beth - Overwhelmed. That's how I felt today. At each stop, so many kids came to me, wanting to be held and begging to be picked up. As we walked together, and played together while their mothers filled their water buckets, we connected - they did not want to let go. When it was time to get back on the tap-tap, the kids didn't want us to leave. They'd say, "No-no, I don't want you to leave." They didn't let go - that was hard for me. I loved the kids! And I knew they loved me - I could see it in their eyes.

Tracy - In Cite Soleil, I realized that I have so much, and I have no business complaining. Thanks to a little girl who had nothing, but was FULL of joy, my eyes are open. opening up my eyes. I want to follow her example, all my life.

Alan - Today, I was devastated. This is my second trip here but really my first time in Cite Soleil. We didn't see the worst part of the Cite when I was here before. Michael, the Healing Haiti photographer, accompanied us today and I was so thankful to have him take us through the village to the coast. This morning, Jeremy shared from Francis Chan's book, "Crazy Love". I was so struck by the fact he shared that 53% of the world lives on less than $2 a day. I realized that I am SO RICH economically. But in Cite Soleil? They have nothing. It was really hard to see such horrible conditions.

But the Lord made me look at my heart. The people of the village there were so happy, even with nothing, but I have so much and struggle to have a happy heart, a joyful spirit. My experiences today - the baby I held for a pregnant woman who needed water, the kids who wanted to see my belly and laughed at my navel - my heart melted. For many years, my sweet wife has been asking me and encouraging me, "You need to change your heart - please be more gentle, be more loving." I want to do this. I want a gentle, joyful heart, with God's help. I want to be a good and faithful servant. There is economic poverty, but far worse is poverty of spirit. I want to be rich in love and gentleness.

Jo Ann - Today I met a boy named Lucas. He realized I was deaf, and he took care of me. He shooed me out of the way when motorcycles passed, he pulled my hand and pulled me out of the way to protect me. I taught him to fingerspell his name - L-U-C-A-S. He caught on so quickly! He spelled it back to me right at the end before we left. It touched my heart how he cared for me and communicated with me.

At the last stop, a girl took my hand as we walked through the village. She snuggled close and began to sing a song. I asked another teammate "What is she singing?". Johanna told me she sang, "I'm making melody in my heart, making melody in my heart." When I began to sing with her, her eyes lit up with joy and we shared a special moment together. I thought, "How can this girl be so happy even in the midst of this poverty?"

Brenda - Full of emotions today: nervousness, anticipation, excitement, heartbreaking, joyful, hope, overwhelming. I held one little girl for the whole time, and when I set her down she grabbed my little finger and demand to be picked back up. She was two, maybe two and half, with beautiful eyelashes and deep brown eyes, with a cross necklace around her neck. Every time I looked at her, she had a look on her face that appeared to me to be contentment and calm. Noticed her and I knew, "everything is going to be okay, she is going to be okay, and I am going to okay." We couldn't speak each other's language, but there was no need for words. We looked at each other and knew. Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment