Sunday, July 27, 2014

Day 7: Last Day Reflection

Tonight is our last night at the Healing Haiti house and the thought of leaving tomorrow has brought about many mixed feelings. The trip as a whole has been an eye opening experience that I will not soon forget. From delivering water to the slums of Site Soleil to relaxing on the sandy shores of Wahoo Beach, it has been an emotional rollercoaster. I would need more than a few pages to fully illustrate my experience with the team but what has burned in my mind the most was the first day at the Home for the Sick and Dying Babies. The rooms were filled with cribs of Hatian babies starved for attention. I had never held a baby before this day. With the help of my exceptional teammates I quickly got over my hesitation and was able to make several of them smile and laugh. It was extremely gratifying to see which made it incredibly difficult to leave at the end of the visit.  Unlike the other group members, I was blessed with sharing my experiences with my Dad and Brother. I was impressed at how they handled each situation since it isn't every day we are presented with such tasks. Overall I am sad to leave but it was a humbling adventure that will stay with me for the rest of my life.
- Simon Schermerhorn

Healing Haiti has opened my eyes in so many ways.  I have seen the worst kinds of living conditions here in Haiti.  While I head back to Califorina I realize the privileged life I've lived.  Although there are orphanages that treat kids a lot better then some of the conditions in the Cite Soleil.  I was lucky enough to meet and live with a new young friend for a couple of days.  He was such a funny kid and made the trip such a blast not only for me but for the whole team.  We connected the first moment we met and started making nicknames for him "Christmas" and myself "Bacon" by the end of our stay everyone had a nickname on our team.  He would be the reason I would come back to Haiti to catch up with him and make sure he is having the life that God wants for him.  
- Evan "Bacon" Schermerhorn

It took so much for me to be sitting where I am right now.  To be honest walking into the first meeting with a bunch of adults I didn't know was terrifying.  I am so so glad I did.  This trip has brought me so much joy, heartbreak, and memories.  Honestly, I don't want to go home. 

One of the most memorable experiences of mine was at the water truck stops.  As we arrived on the first day, I saw this little girl that was about two years old standing by a pole all alone.  Because she was absolutely adorable, of course I decided to pick her up.  At the previous water truck stops I did my best to make every child that I came in contact with smile.  It wasn't the same with this little girl. She wouldn't talk, or even look me in the eye.  As I talked to one of the older Haitian girls who could speak English, she told me that she didn't have any parents.  I was sad at this, but I knew that's how it was for many of the kids there.  I just brushed it off.  We went to the same water stop a day later, and there she was again, same spot.  As I held her again it sunk in that this was her life, waiting at a pole for someone to come and love her.  Among the chaos surrounding us, she fell asleep in my arms.  Before I knew it there was this lady who took her from me so quickly.  She didn't even wake up to say goodbye.  As I still don't know her name, someone suggested that I should call her Grace.  To me Hope is a better fit.  During church this Sunday morning it hurt my heart to think of her being all alone, and that there was no guarantee that her life was going to be okay.  With the help of some friends, they reminded me that although she may not have much, she still has hope.  A hope for a better life.  A hope for a family.  A hope for an eternity spent with God.  Although I know that she has hope, she will forever hold a special place in my heart.  It gives me peace to know that God is watching down on her. 

Okay okay enough of the sad stuff. Overall, I am so glad that I took that leap of faith that one meeting to go on this trip.  All of the ladies on the team especially have all taken me under their wing in one way or another, and I am so thankful for them.  I am honored to have these Godly women as role models in my life. (Also the guys were all just super funny) Haiti, thanks for the memories, I look forward to the day I get to come back.
-Rebekah Ruther


 
The Jonas Brothers

Street Kids by the Guest House

On the mountain top

No comments:

Post a Comment