Wednesday, February 1, 2012

From the beginning...

From the beginning when my Uncle Tom picked me up on the famous early morning run to the airport, I have been trying to spit out Creole sayings to help fit in with the culture, Jezi renmen ou.

Yesterday was my first day in Haiti, and even though I have had many family members and friends go (including my mother and sister) I was not quite sure what I was going to expect. The countryside was beautiful and it was a mild 86 with a little bit of humidity with the atmosphere of the Caribbean. Last night was rather peaceful, unpacking our things and settling in for the night.

HEY YOU! Today was water truck day! We loaded up the tap-tap and met up with the water truck to serve the people in the slums of Cité Soleil. Cité Soleil is one of the poorest places in the western hemisphere. As we drove to our first stop, one couldn't help but notice the garbage piling up in the street, the sewage running along what curbs existed, and the structures made out of corrugated metal, sticks and a few nails, and the people in desperate need for some assistance.

Off the truck we got, buckets came lining up, and children keep popping out of every corner. HEY YOU! HEY YOU! They keep yelling at
us, reaching their arms out for a hug, a hand, or even a smile. As the little ones would climb upon me, FORTE, FORTE was being yelled. Up they went, I think at one time I had 4-5 or more kids on my arms, back, and neck. As they pulled at me to try to get my attention and
help with their buckets, focus shifted to help deliver water to their homes. 5- 10- 15 gallon buckets were carried throughout the slums, wash tubs and other buckets were filled. Mainly women and children were in line to get water, as it is a part of the culture. As seen fit I would help smaller children and elderly carry the buckets to their homes

As we walked we went down the main streets, then veered off into an alleyway. Pass a few doors, open fire pits, and chickens we would take a turn and then though the door I would go into their homes. 10x10 homes with a sleeping area, a cooking area, and a cloths area. Often
times, it was kept and organized, but not safe suitable living conditions, just enough to call home. Once the water was set down, the little one would grab my hand and we would head back to the truck. The second we hit the street another swarm of children would run, grab on and pull in different directions to lead me back to their buckets for help.

Passing back and forth between runs from the truck to their homes, we would often see women in the alleyways cooking the next meal, doing laundry out of the tub, men woodworking, building doors and boats, and stringing fishing nets. At one stop we came across a group of men playing a game of dominoes, the looser had cloths pins attached to his chest. One run in particular, I helped a little girl and her expecting mother carry water back to their house, I couldn't help but think of my wife back home.

In between stops to deliver water, we were welcomed at two schools, and took a look at the conditions of the fortunate children to be able to attend. In addition we visited the latrine, and it was by far worse than what could have ever been expected. As we walked through the
sites, children would continue to grab on, hang on and want to play games, as we walked on top of trash, shells, and feces. I was amassed to see how much joy and happiness our being there brought to these children. A simple ride on the shoulders was more than enough to bring about a smile that broke all language barriers.

Being an Engineer, I have a background with building infrastructure in the states. In the US, we are so blessed and fortunate to have running
water, sewer and services and power to our houses, and for me, it is such a common way of life that I understand. In Haiti it is quite different, the water truck is how people rely on getting this essential part of every day life, in addition, the latrine is where they go, and power is unreliable if available. Even the guest house we are staying at has a cistern that is full of water from the water truck and a generator for when the city shuts the power off. As I look back on today I cannot help but think about the essentials of life, and what resources we take advantage and what ones we take for granted.

Peter Demuth
Healing Haiti Team Member

No comments:

Post a Comment