Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Who's your favorite Beatle?

So we're encouraged to choose a word of the day every day to share with the group in the evening. Today started out at San Fil, a hospital for sick and dying adults. We spent about 2 1/2 hours simply rubbing lotion on the bodies of people who are laying around waiting to die. One would think that it would be draining, and depressing. To be sure, it was hard, but the human touch goes a long way in not only bridging the language barrier, but it has the power to move both the giver and receiver above the current circumstances. For me a gentleman who was skin and bones with lung and stomach problems longed so much to be touched, he literally moaned as I gently rubbed his back. For the women, many of them young girls sang praises to God, in harmony, hands raised like a choir, while Junior played his guitar. That was very moving, but my word didn't come from there. Next we went to serve lunch at Madame Gertrude's orphanage for special needs children. She has taken most of these kids after they were abandoned. That too was amazing. But we finished the day at the home for sick and dying children. Immediately upon arrival we entered a room where it was feeding time for toddlers and young children. In my Very limited Creole I always try to greet the children and when I see the girls I let them know they are "belle", beautiful. I spent a small amount of time after dinner in the basement where the sickest babies are, and it broke my heart to see two rooms full of beds. Full with babies reaching out to be held. I had to limit myself here...it was gut-wrenchingly painful. Back upstairs I was immediately chased by a little boy named Donnely. He was full of mischief. And soon followed my first "belle" girl. She appeared to be about 6 or 7 and was absolutely full of life. She sat with me, on me and I held her for nearly an hour and a half. All the kids everywhere are mesmerized by my longer hair, and those that know Jeff all ask if we are brothers. This girl was no different, she would pull at it, and knew the word "soft". I asked her "kisa ou rele?" what is your name? And she said "Michelle". Well since the humidity down here has given me a mop top on my head, I, of course started singing the Beatles song, "Michelle, ma belle", and this Michelle knew it! She tried in her best English to sing with me but when I got to "I love you, I love you, I love you," she knew every word, and I knew I had found my word of the day, Beatles. And today, they are all my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment