Friday, August 2, 2013

A picture is worth a thousand words, and sometimes more...

When we entered Gertrude's home for the disabled, I have to admit I was afraid.  Afraid of what I might see, afraid of how I might react, and afraid that I would have nothing to offer them.  We spent some time with these kids in a large room where we sang songs, rubbed backs, and held kids large and small.  The kids ranged greatly in the degree of their disability - some with physical challenges and some with mental - some able to move around and some unable to lift their head.  At one point we decided to take some of the kids out to the play area.  That is when I met Gus.  Gus must have been about the age of 13.  He could not speak, and his body was a bit contorted which made it difficult for him to walk.  I motioned to Gus to see if I could take his picture and he smiled.  I quickly showed him his image in the display so he could see what he looked like, and his smile grew even bigger.  That's when Gus decided it was his turn.  I helped him put the camera strap over his head and he was off!  I had prepared to give him a quick tutorial, not really expecting him to catch on, but before I got a chance, he turned the camera on (something most people can't seem to figure out), found the shutter button and started taking pictures.  Gus and I worked as a team as he moved from person to person as quickly as he could, motioning for them to stand still and smile.  After each shot he took, he paused, looked at the camera display, smiled and then showed me.  I imagine he took at least 50 pictures during the time that we had together.

As I watched Gus with the camera around his neck, I saw him stand just a little bit taller.  He stood like a person with authority, power and confidence, perhaps for the first time.  He had found his voice through images - images that he had created himself.
Blessings and love to you all at home,

Chris LaRue

1 comment:

  1. I love this story! Gus is such a cutie! Full of charm I can see.
    -Angie

    ReplyDelete