Saturday, August 24, 2013

Inspiring Week!

This has truly been an amazing week!! I have been here several times yet every day I experience many firsts with these youth. I am inspired by each and every one of them. I am writing this too for the parents of these kids who I said we'd keep informed by a daily blog however we packed their schedule so tight that's been difficult, sorry about that!! This group dives into everything we've done head on - absolutely no hesitation whatsoever! They jump off that Tap-tap so ready and eager to go and watching them look into the eyes of babies, adults, and elderly with such love and so caring, is a beautiful sight that will be etched in my memory forever. Yesterday we did the elderly visits. This is a difficult day for many, it's hard to see the conditions people who have worked hard their entire life have to live in. At their age they deserve a break, running water and electricity. They don't need our "stuff", just the ease of having to struggle to walk a few feet to get water in their own home vs having to slowly make it blocks away to a well. It is heartbreaking. We sat this morning after breakfast as a team and talked about the elderly visits and what to express. A few shared their reservations about being near them and when we talked about possibly washing their feet most I'm sure were a bit "freaked out" by that. However, once there you would never know there was any hesitation. Because there isn't a ton of room in the elders homes I would stand outside trying to get a glimpse of what was going on when I could. To peek in and see 4 teens from this group happily washing the feet of one of the ladies and rubbing lotion on her wash such a beautiful site to see! Parents, you should all be very proud of your son/daughters. They've been very respectful, hard working, so caring, and they have spent a good amount of time thinking about and talking about how this trip has changed them and what they'll do from here. I am SO incredibly blessed that God picked myself and Sam to lead this amazing group - I have learned so much from them, I look up to them and admire them, wish I had the faith and vision they do when I was their age! I am really excited to see what they end up doing in life and hope I can remain in contact and possible come back to Haiti next year with them! I need to listen and hear so I can continue doing the work he wants me to do. Now, we're off to make one water truck stop, then up to Grace Village to do a Faith Lesson and Crafts, then taking neighborhood kids to play soccer again. We did that on Wednesday too - SO much fun - I even played for quite a while. These Haitian kids are amazing soccer players - something without shoes even but you'd never know it! Thanks for reading our blogs - we are all excited to get back and share this experience with you all - it's been so awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment