Saturday, March 8, 2014

Friday (Tent Church, Water Truck, General Hospital)


I think all of those who have been to Haiti would agree that one of the best things you could do to prepare for your trip is to learn Haitian Creole. Being able to speak to the locals is so uncommon that it opens them up in a way many will never experience. However, being that most of us are not able to pick up a new language all that easily a few choice welcoming words are a good start. More importantly though are your actions.

In a word, yesterday was full. We finally had a full healthy team. We had a full group of HH guys, we had a full schedule and we were full of actions. Actions that really showed the Haitian people we were not there to “save” them or make them better but to love them and support them and just be human with them.

Our first event of the day was 6am Haitian church. Unlike any church I’ve seen this was a huge warehouse looking building that just a year ago was a tent! It was bright and open and welcoming and we spent the next hour in prayer and worship. People were walking back and forth down the aisles praying, singing, hands wide open praising God and it was amazing. A smiling older woman came up to us and gave us all hugs then happily went on her way walking down the aisles joyful as can be. A great action w/o words. They do this every morning and we felt their desire and love for God in the short time we were there.

Church was followed up by another yummy breakfast of nutella and spicy peanut butter pancakes and then we were off to day two of water truck. First stop was good. Typical with lots of kids and a line of buckets but fairly tame. We had 5 HH guys with us and they kept it all in order, keeping us safe and keeping the line moving. We moved away from that stop feeling good and ready for stop two.

Those that had been on a trip before were excited to be introduced to a new stop. It was a tent city just a block from the water truck station. We saw right away that this stop had a great need as the line of buckets was very long before we even jumped out of the truck. I personally found a little girl that I held onto the entire time. She was maybe 2 and I have no idea where she came from, where she lived or who she belonged to. We hung out for a bit smiling and singing and then the need to move buckets filled with water began to pile up so with her in one hand and a bucket in the other we began going back and forth. One older woman needed a bit of help so I carried her bucket to her home and a gentleman in the home next to her shooed me away. I just smiled and headed back unsure of his meaning. I brought another bucket with me and again he shooed me away. This time I wasn’t gonna have it so I smiled at him gave him the shoulder shrug as to why are you shooing me and walked right up to him. I used my broken Kreyol to say hello, how are you, my name is Stephanie what is your name. His demeanor immediately changed and he replied that his name was Vincennes and in English he said nice to meet you and we shook hands. No more shooing from Vincennes. Some words, but a lot of action showing care for him united us and that felt pretty cool.

When the truck ran out of water we saw the line still waiting and we decided we must come back. So the guys told them we were going to get more water and we’d be back soon. An hour later we returned. I don’t know how the people felt but we really hope that they saw we felt their need and wanted to show them love by coming back. Driving in I saw my sweet little one standing on the side of the road and we immediately found each other again. This time she had a friend, about the same size and so we became a trio.  We hung out a bit and then the bucket need came again so I set them down assuming they would move on to other people but shortly after beginning my trek into the maze of tent city I felt two little tugs on the back of my shirt. They were following holding on tight and my heart just melted right there on the spot.  Their action made my day. I delivered my bucket scooped them up and we accompanied some others from our crew delivering buckets.

When we got back I got to see my hubs being the awesome dad he is back in MN. He had about 15 older kids surrounding him and they were playing an intense game of tickle tag. Kids were rolling on the ground with laughter, running around, just getting to be kids. I don’t think they get a lot, if any, of that from their own dads. His actions were truly the highlight of my day and I’d guess the kids too. We felt good seeing the last couple buckets of water being poured over heads. This group had enough water for now and were even able to enjoy it a bit.


A quick trip to the house to shower and change and we moved right on to the next stop. General Hospital. Oh my gosh you guys, this was tough. We went to the children’s “wing” and I will never forget the first child I saw. I pray that Jesus either immediately heals them or brings them home. I pray that it has already been done. They had been abandoned and GH was in no way prepared to handle their needs. At GH we handed out bags with infant diapers and packs of wipes. Most kids had a parent or relative with them but a few others were abandoned as well. It was a quiet and short trip. Lots of actions and very little words used here.

We were all exhausted and ready to be back at the guest house. Little did we know our evening was not over. Our HH team had a surprise action of their own. They took us out for dinner! A missionary family opens up their home a couple days a week as a pizza parlor called Pizza Amore. After a long ride in the Tap Tap we arrived to find a full house. Missionaries from all over including a ton from Minnesota filled the outside patio. It was a great ending to a great, mentally physically and emotionally exhausting day. I’m going to try and embrace my new perspective on action and use it more on the trip but more importantly at home. I’m tired of hearing myself speaking and want to show my family and friends and even complete strangers how I feel thru actions and not words.

-Stephanie H.

No comments:

Post a Comment