Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Broken Hearts

This morning started off bright and early about 5:30 so we could make it to the tent worship.  But it is not in a tent anymore, it is now in a giant shed (they re-built...YAY!).  It was wonderful to see how others worship.  The service was in Creole and we could only pick out a few of the words they were saying and singing, but what a beautiful service.
After we stayed for about an hour we went back to the guesthouse for another wonderful breakfast made by the lovely women of the house.  Just for a picture of our breakfast...fresh mango, fresh bananas, fresh pineapple, squeezed mango juice, amazing eggs, oatmeal, and pancakes.  YUM!
Then it was onto our visits for the day.  Half of the group went to The Home for Sick and Dying Babies and half went to Gertrude's Orphanage.  I was part of the group that went to the sick and dying babies.  I thought this would be the hardest part of the trip for myself, but walking into one of the rooms with rows of little metal cribs with little ones in them it wasn't what I pictured it.  One little boy picked me to hold him and give him love (I think these little ones pick us, we don't pick them).  He looked like he was 4 months old, but was 1 1/2.  Crazy!  We all told these little ones how much God loves them and just snuggled them.  The parents were there, but once visiting hours were over, we tried to help calm the little ones down.  I can't imagine having to leave my baby when they are sick.  BUT they are all in very good hands.  What a blessing for these families to have a place like this to take their babies to. 
Gertrude's is an orphanage for children that have disabilities of different things.  The group did PT with about 6 kids since the rest of them were in school. 
Once we were done at our first visits we stopped back at the guesthouse for some snacks to re-fuel then we were off in the tap tap again to the General Hospital.  The hospital is nothing of what we think a hospital is.  To me it looks like a barn from the county fairs...cement floors, just plywood walls with a cutout for a window, flys all over, IVs splinted with cardboard probably ripped off of garbage somewhere.  We brought some bags of soap, diapers, snacks, etc to the parents.  When their children are in the hospital there always needs to be a parent with them at all times.  Also, they have to pay for everything prior to getting it...medicine, lab work, etc.  There were 3 abandoned children there and one of them just broke me to my core.  She was a newborn....a perfect tiny little angel.  Jenni had her for a bit then gave her to me to share more  love.  When it was almost time to go I gave her kisses and broke down.  I was/am scared of what will  happen to her.  Then her caretaker looked at us and said "Don't cry, Pray"  My heart is broken, but I know God will heal it and I look forward to see how he will heal it because I am sure it won't be in a way I could imagine.

Brad found the perfect verse to sum up the day Isaiah 40:28-29  "Don't you know?  Haven't you heard?  The Lord is the everlasting God; he created all the world.  He never grows tired or weary.  No one understands his thoughts.  He strengthens those who are weak and tired."

Cassie

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this Cassie. I reminded to my core of how good God's is to us. Even in times of need he never forsakes us. I WAS ASKED ONE TIME HOW DO YOU HANDLE EVERYTHING YOU GO THROUGH? My answer: what I go through is nothing compared to what Jesus did for me! GOD BLESS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears in my eyes and prayers in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started to read these posts and to see how God is moving and stirring your hearts as you witness these little children and the elders. God takes a certain tragedy to use all of you as a missionary, to mold and shape, to grow stronger in your faith, to rely on God and not in the worldly things. In 37 seconds all can be lost. I pray that in each and everyone of you for supernatural strength, wisdom, favor, and determination to move in you and that the Holy Spirit transforms you!! Whatever you put your hands to, wherever you walk IT WILL BE BLESSED IN JESUS NAME!!!

    ReplyDelete