Monday, April 21, 2014

Travel Day to Haiti

Well, we have arrived. Most of our group of 14 had very little sleep last night at home because we had to get up at about 1 a.m. We had to meet at church by 2. Our flight to Miami left at about 5:45 am and with a layover, we arrived in Pot Au Prince at about 4 EST. It is 90 degrees here but survivable.

All of our luggage was tossed into the back of a truck called a tap tap. The back is kind of like a cage. We all hopped in and away we went. Quite an adventure riding through the crowded city streets with lots of dust and huge potholes! Made me wonder what my day would be like if I had been born here.

The cottage that we are staying in is very nice and perfect for large groups. Hatian tacos were served for supper.

I am excited to be here but have to say that I feel a bit nervous and anxious about why I am here. Something that felt so right when I signed up for this 8 day mission trip now leads to a lot of feelings of trepidation.  I will be working on not worrying about it and let God do his work. He is the vine. We are the branches.

Tomorrow we will go with a water truck to Citi Soleil. We will help fill buckets and play with children while parents fill their buckets. Citi Soleil is the poorest slum in the western hemisphere. I can't even begin to imagine getting clean water that way as a way of life.

Continue to pray for this trip--the people of Haiti, that their physical needs of  food and clean water. As well as proper health care will be met.  Pray for all of us and that we will trust in our Lord that he has a definite purpose for us being here and that we will seek his call. Pray for our  safety.

God's peace.

Sue

1 comment: