Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Service with Haiti Teen Challenge

This morning we took a visit to the Haiti Teen Challenge and I (Kyle) gave my testimony to the guys there, it was hard to try to edit the testimony so that it would be easier for the translator. I also had to pause so that he could repeat what I said and I had to change some of the words I used. I feel like I didn't get to express what I wanted to say but God will use it. We got a tour of the building and it's good to know that Haiti has a place for these guys who are struggling with addictions. A few of the men there came with us to work with the water trucks in Cite Soleil. On the way there, I saw there was a guy in the back of a trailer tied by his neck. One of the Teen Challenge guys told me that the man was arrested and that's why he was tied up. We went to three different stops in Cite Soleil. I already had a pretty good idea of what to expect so I was pretty well mentally prepared for anything but it still had a much more profound affect on me by experiencing it first-hand. As soon as we got out of the truck, the kids would flock to us and want to be held. About half of the kids were entirely naked and there was garbage everywhere. One of the child's mom motioned for me to take her child. I'm assuming it was because she wanted a better future for her child. This probably is what had the biggest impact on me. At the first stop we got to see the site prepared for a church/school plant. We sang and prayed over the area. On the third stop there was a little boy probably 5 years old who had a soccer ball and we kicked it around for a while. The ball was completely covered in dirt and not fully inflated but he really enjoyed playing anyways. Online you can buy these soccer balls with scriptures written in creole on them and I wanted to bring one but they were sold out. Maybe another time we can make that happen. Everybody came back really tired and ready for dinner. The Teen Challenge guys that helped us stopped over to the guest house to have dinner with us. We had this really good stir fry with noodles, peppers, onions, chicken and rice. I was very pleased to see Sriracha hot sauce on the table. My word of the day would have to be "need". There's just such a huge need for everything from food, water, education, clothing, and shelter that you feel hopeless to make a big enough difference. I guess all we can do is our part, spread awareness, then pray that the Lord will provide.

~ Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment