Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Unforgettable Day

It was an amazing experience today. We all headed down to the general hospital and the ride there was an experience in and of itself. When we arrived we handed out care packages and visited with the people.  We prepared the care packages before we left for Haiti.  One care package includes a bar of soap, wash cloth, toothbrush, toothpaste, hotel shampoo, snack, diaper, and a package of apple sauce.  At first it was a bit overwhelming distributing the care packages to one per crib/bed.  Most of the people would place them under their pillows and come back asking for another.  It was challenging to say no but we ended up having plenty left over to give everyone a second care package.  Once we finished giving the care packages we had the opportunity to visit with the children and the parents.  It was emotional seeing some children in pain wishing there was something we could do.  Comforting and holding the children was enough to show how much we cared.  I walked up to a mom who placed her little daughter in my arms. The little girl grasped around my body and eventually fell asleep in my arms.  It was a challenge to leave them behind. 

We then went to help feed and play with special needs kids at Gertrude's Orphanage. It was an amazing experience to walk in and see all the kids singing and happy.  We pushed their wheel chairs around and played with all the kids on the playground.  When it was time to eat we each fed a child with a hot bowl that contained rice, chicken, and gravy.  A little boy came to me in the beginning and I picked him up.  He fell asleep in my arms and I carried him around the majority of the time.  He did not want me to leave and was holding on to me until I walked out the door.  He was trying to escape with us. 

Marcia, Debbie, Josh and JoAnn went to help out at the wound clinic. They assisted with cleaning wounds and changing people's dressings. 

Back at the guesthouse Ray saw the neighbor boys for dental screenings.  They will get treatment on Saturday at Grace Village.

Over all today was an unforgettable experience that I will never forget.  I am so grateful and blessed for this opportunity. 

Jenessa

P.S. Here are some photos of our travels in Haiti. No cameras allowed in the places we visited today. 








No comments:

Post a Comment