Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Day 3--It is better to give, than to receive

Today we visited the Home for the Sick and Dying and an orphanage with approximately 35 children. Two very different places yet both spoke the same thing to me. First, I’ll give you some details. At the Home for the Sick and Dying, women served women and men served men. Each room had approximately 15 beds and the woman’s ward was about 75% full. We came with baby lotion and fingernail polish. It doesn’t sound like much - but God doesn’t require much (you’ll learn that when you come down here!) We donned gloves and lotioned bodies and painted nails of women looking for rest and comfort. Our translator played the guitar, we sang and prayed (silently) over the women and each other. Tears were shared, hands were held, and laughter heard – all for the Glory of God. The second part of the day was spent with beautiful loving children. Lots of laughter and smiles were shared by all. We played soccer, jumped rope, gave piggy back rides and made sidewalk art. Two very different places with very different atmospheres –yet both spoke new meaning to a truth I’ve believed my whole life. It is better to give than to receive. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of this concept prior to coming to Haiti. It’s always been pretty easy for me to give from my pockets, from my hands, from my home, from my lips. Not so easy from the heart. This is what God has taught me in Haiti. It is better to give your heart than to receive - period. I’m not talking about giving with your heart or from your heart and not because of your heart. To give is better than to receive if you actually give away pieces of your heart. I think when we give a piece of our heart away, God’s limitless love fills it up again and it grows and yearns to be broken to pieces over and over. My prayer for us all – God, show us what it means to give our hearts away - to you and each other. With Love, Leanne

No comments:

Post a Comment