Sunday, September 27, 2015

Day 6--2nd Water Truck Day "Hey You!"

Today was the second and final water truck day in Cite Soleil. We went to three different areas to deliver water. At each stop we scooted buckets, aimed hoses, carried buckets, and held children. You can probably guess which one was our favorite! If you've always wondered what it feels like to be a celebrity, come to Haiti and serve on water truck day. As our tap tap rolls into the neighborhood, all the children chant, "Hey you! Hey you!" (because of the UN presence after the earthquake...the U stuck...) As soon as our wonderful and gracious translators/drivers unlock and open the tap tap door, little hands are reaching out to you to be picked up. You are greeted with smiles everywhere you turn. The women and children are so grateful for the help. Their hearts are so open and welcome. It's really surprising to me and makes me think... What if I greeted everyone with an open heart, a warm smile, and an open hand? What would that look like and how would that change the world? What if we cherished each other's gifts for what they are? What if we were excited and genuine in receiving everyday gifts from one another? I don't have those answers, but I know the One who does. Tonight is my last night in Haiti (the rest of the team leaves on Monday). God has taught me so much about myself, His creation, and His people. My prayer for us all: God, open our hearts to you. Give us the courage to walk in obedience. Love, Leanne

No comments:

Post a Comment