Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Healing Haiti-Friends: Healing Haiti-Friends: Day 2


Hey you!! These words are a reminder to me of our day today. Today my group went to deliver water to the people of Cite Soleil. This is a very unique opportunity because Cite Solei is the poorest city in Haiti and possibly the world. Cite Soleil is run by gangs which is why not many people are able to come and deliver water there. However Healing Haiti has a relationship with the people there and that is why we are able to come help.



The minute we stepped out of the tap-tap (a tap-tap is similar to a really small bus that fits lots of people) there were little Haitian children there wanting to be picked up. I held this little girl the whole time. She was so content to just be in my arms. She was probably only around 2-3 years old, which was crazy because she did not have anyone to really look after her. I held her where and walked to a place where Healing Haiti will be building a church. The building spot is covered with trash and it is so amazing to me that God is allowing a church to be built there. After the water ran out (it took about 45 minutes) we went to the water place to wait for the water truck to be refilled. We went out again and did the same thing and made a total of three stops with the water truck. Each stop was a little different but the purpose was always the same: give the Haitian people the water they need to survive and give the little kids the attention they want, simply by holding them and smiling. Everywhere we went the little kids would constantly yell, "Hey you!" Those words were just simple way of saying hi and almost everyone would smile and wave. It was incredible to see everyone so happy and friendly among all of the poverty.



While out on all of these trips today one thing really stuck out to me. There was trash everywhere! The sides of the street are full of trash and even sewage. It is hard to put into words exactly what I saw. There was a constant smell of burning trash in the air. Besides the lack of clothes, the lack of water, and the lack of food, what impacted me the most was the conditions in which they were living. These people living in Cite Soleil have nothing. These Haitian people are EXTREMELY thankful that we are bringing them clean water to drink, whereas in America we take for granted the ability to have clean water come out of the facet when we turn it on! Today has really made me realize that the "struggles" that I experience are absolutely nothing compared to the struggle here. These people are constantly struggling to survive, when I think I might die when I do not get full after lunch. Today in Haiti has really made me grateful for everything I have in the United States, and it makes me realize that I should really be grateful for the "struggles" I do have because there are others that would love to live like I do. God has to been so good to all of us here and a big thank you goes out to everyone who has been praying for us! Below are some pictures from today!



Love,

Allyson :)




















2 comments:

  1. Thank you for updating and sharing about each day. I am a good friend of Ruby's and am praying for your time in Haiti. Sending my love, Kash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the pictures and the blog! Yes, we are so blessed here at home. Definitely take it for granted. We are thankful for all the work you are doing!! God's blessing on all of you.

    ReplyDelete