Friday, July 24, 2015

Going Where God Asks Us to Go


-- From Dean

On Monday, our team traveled through four airports over twelve hours to arrive at the Healing Haiti guest house.

First impressions of Haiti: Hot!

First impressions of guest house: Very pleasant.

After some team bonding and devotion, we all went to bed. I didn't say anything at the time, but as a first timer in Haiti, I had a fair amount of anxiety about what we planned to do the next day.

On Tuesday, we were up early, had a terrific breakfast, boarded the "TapTap" (seventeen people packed in the back of a truck), and were off to Cite Soleil. It was my first chance to really see Haiti. 'Shocking' isn't the right word. I've seen images on television, so I knew what to expect. Actually being here to see this extreme poverty in person made it real. 'Revelation' is the best word to describe it.

When we arrived to Cite Soleil with the water truck we'd met along the way.... Well, that's when I'd use the word 'Shocking.' I was way out of my comfort zone. Kids came running to the TapTap like American kids might rush a famous singer arriving to their concert in a limo. But, we aren't famous. We have little talent. The kids only wanted water and to be held.

I was apprehensive at first. The kids were dirty, desperate, and many weren't wearing clothes. Yet, it was one of those moments where you forget about your comfort zone. All seventeen of us were holding at least one child before we were two steps out of the TapTap. Two and three kids at a time would hold onto our necks so tightly while others begged to be picked up too. It was heart breaking and heart warming at the same time.

When the water truck was ready to go, the moment turned into mayhem. Buckets emerged from everywhere. Water poured from the hose so fast it could fill a five gallon pail in 1-2 seconds. It was like a fireman's brigade with buckets coming in and being taken away so fast, it was impossible to keep track. We never turned the water off.... We just moved from bucket to bucket until the water was all gone.

The strength of the Haitian women is amazing -- but of course they carry the buckets more efficiently that we do. When we weren't holding a child or helping fill buckets, women and children asked us to help put these huge buckets on top of their heads... and they would walk away without spilling a drop. It was exhausting, humbling, and motivating.

My greatest heartache came after an hour of so of intense working and holding many children. I was extremely hot and feeling the faint effects of dehydration. I desperately needed some water myself. And my heart cracked. All I had to do was walk to the TapTap for my water bottle. I thought to myself, 'what do these people do when they feel this way?' I didn't like the answer.

By the time we left Cite Soleil, my apprehension was gone. I felt a genuine love for these kids and wanted to hold them and play as long as I could. It's amazing how God can transform the human heart in a matter of minutes. We just have to go where he asks us to go. This week, God has asked me & this entire team to be here in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment