Thursday, July 23, 2015

Word of the Day: Memory

----- From Natalie

Every night we have our "Word Of The Day." We go around and share the first word we can think of and its significance. Last night, my word was "memory". 

When I returned to Grace Village (the orphanage) for my first time since last year, it seemed like no time went by at all. All the memories from last year returned. And I recognized almost every child's face. There was one boy in particular named Edwins that is now 14 years old and was my best friend last year. I spotted him across the room and we made eye contact. He looked away and then did a double take realizing it was me. Then he got a huge smile on his face and gave me the biggest hug. It was such an amazing moment to see him (and all the other kids) and how much they've grown and even how much better their English has gotten.

Another special thing that triggered the word "memory" for me was when we decided to go through the gates of our guest house and walk to the hotel pool down the street to cool down. As we walked we were joined by four neighborhood boys that held our hands and talked with us. I looked at one boy and asked his name. He said John. That's when I had a flashback to last year. He was the high school soccer player who made me a bracelet to remember him by. I promised him last year I would come back and bring my sister (Nicole) who was his age and also played soccer. I predicted they'd be best friends. 

As it turns out, this year's chance meeting was special because it was John's birthday. So we decided to take all four boys with us to the hotel for a soda and a swim. John said it was his best birthday ever. I kept my promise and introduced him to Nicole. He remembered me telling him about her and they spent the rest of the day together inseparable and are the best of friends already.  

God is doing amazing things here in Haiti; like creating relationships within our team, but also with the kids of Grace Village and the neighborhood boys -- opening up more and more opportunities to share His Word.


No comments:

Post a Comment