Sunday, July 5, 2015

Proud, But Not Finished

To Be Continued...

I hate when that comes across the screen. I am all about instant gratification. I want to get to the end of the story and see how it ends. I want to see all loose ends tied up...but this time.

Today was our last full day in Haiti. The end always come so fast. But this isn't the end.

We spent the morning at Leveque Deaf Church. We attended Sunday School first.  We were all amazed at how well the teacher taught the Bible. I was in a room with older kids and adults.  I know very little ASL (no comments, Bob :)), but I was able to easily follow along as he spoke about Creation and the temptation of Jesus. He did a masterful job.

Church began with worship and some of the children lead the group in worship. The pastor then called our team up to the front of the church and asked us to introduce ourselves. There were about 40 kids from Haiti Deaf Academy, all of whom we'd met on Friday and visited with yesterday at length, sitting in the front two rows. Before our team could sign our names the kids remembered them and were signing the name of each adult...when it go to me I was scared to death to sign my name (I don't fear public speaking at all, but signing my name is a whole new thing). Before I even got through "J" the kids let out some screams and were signing my name.  It was by far the most touching thing I have ever experienced in Haiti. I'm blessed beyond measure to have been part of this team...

So back to the beginning...to be continued:

This week was the start of a story and only He knows how it will end. "HE" is God. Two and a half years ago God began to build this team. When Bob came to me the night we returned from Haiti on my first trip, I thought the idea of a Deaf team was a pipe dream. But Bob believed and he pressed forward with God leading the way to build this team.

Each member played an important part this week and I'd like to share about each of them:

Nick - A man who has a heart of gold. I can't even imagine Nick would ever say a mean word to anyone. Nick stepped so far out of his comfort zone to go on this trip, but he never swayed. He kept his eyes focused on the finish line and amazed us all with his steadfast love for the people of Haiti.

Tracy - I have been on four trips and I assure you, no one has ever trusted God more or called on Him as much as Tracy did. She will be the first to say that God carried her through most of this trip. She didn't let steep hills, hot days, or motion sickness stop her from the work God put in front of her. Tracy, I was so inspired by your willingness to keep going no matter the cost.

Karen - Caring as anyone on our team. She made sure that any team member that was struggling was cared for. At the Home for the Sick and Dying Children, she made sure I was drinking water. When Meredith got some heartbreaking news, Karen was the first in line to comfort her. She was the glue of our team and we thank her for that.

Brenda - Before this trip, I served with Brenda at Eagle Brook Church. Just like at EBC she went out of her way to include, encourage and support. As a first time leader this was invaluable to me. Each day Brenda thanked me or encouraged me.  I could not have imagined this trip without her support. 

Beth - In all my life I have never met sweeter soul. She never once stopped smiling on this trip.  She maintained a servant's heart throughout the whole week. Her laugh was infectious and her tears genuine. Beth flew under the radar until she surprised you with her love for all those who came in contact with.

Alan - He was on my first trip and will always hold a special place in my heart.  He is loving, caring, and strong all at the same time. The way he loves his wife is a model for all men. The way he cares for the least of these is a model for all Christians. His strength lies with in his massive heart for those who are overwhelmed by his hugs.

Jo Ann - This poor woman put up with more grief from me than any individual should. But she never stopped smiling or saying thank you to me. She too was on my first trip and helped to dream up and make this trip happen. I still can't believe she picked me to help lead this team. Jo Ann, I can't thank you enough for bringing me into this community. I in debt to you forever. I love you!

Kelsey - From the first time I met her until tonight when I said goodnight, I knew Kelsey was all in. There is no middle ground for her.  She holds nothing back. Whether it's holding three kids at once or filling water buckets she is there to complete the task perfectly.  She was also one of our interpreters who put in endless hours helping me learn what little ASL I could grasp.

Johanna - No one, and I mean no one, lights up a room like this one.  She brings joy wherever she goes.  You don't need to be able to hear to understand her personality. Ask any of the deaf children that left a room glowing from her interaction.  We also were so blessed to watch her love and support her mother who was on this trip. 

Julie - I am laughing as I type this. I can't tell you how much fun Julie is. It needs to be experienced to full understand.  On the tap tap, at breakfast, or in the field if I started to wear down I immediately looked for Julie to get me back on track. Her passion and understanding of her own faith was so refreshing.

Meredith - I have no words. Seven days of interpreting everywhere we went, yet still touching every person she came in contact with. This trip would not have been possible with out her. It also would not have been the same. She's the mother of Johanna too, which is not just a title to her - it's a mission.  What a wonderful role model for all the women on our team. Meredith, thank you for all the hard work and exhausting days.

Bob - Thank you. Thank you for allowing God to lead you to a place no one else was going. Thank you for your passion for the Deaf community. Thank you for including me. Thank you for your undying love for the people of Haiti. I am tearing up as I write this. Thank you for not allowing this story to end.

...To be Continued

P.S. - Jeremy has been an incredible co-leader for our team. We're all so grateful for his larger than life personality, love for people, heart for service, and his knowledge of all things Haiti. He led with confidence and joy, a healthy measure of crazy and fun, and allowed God to have His way in and through our team. Thank you, Jeremy! We all love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment